The Digital Photography Book, Part 4 has a tough act to follow as I enjoyed the first one so much that it made my Which Books Should I Read list. I naturally thought this would be a shoe in as volumes two and three were very good and much of the same.
Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed with this book. While it keeps the same format as its predecessors, and has lots of good information for two-thirds of the book, it occasionally jumps into photo editing topics (i.e., Chapter 9’s Shooting HDR Like A Pro) where too much complex info is crammed into a single paragraph. Scott is famous for breaking things down to make them easy to follow in his other books (i.e., 7 Point System, Lightroom 3 for Digital Photographers and The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers), but here the lesson gets lost in the compact format.
I applaud Scott for trying to be more Canon friendly, but he needs a Canon editor to check his facts as occasionally he is outright incorrect in his comments.
A beginner reading all four books in a row for the first time will probably get something out of this book, so it’s not a total loss. However, my advice is to skip this one and go with one of his other great books (below) and get a Kelby Training subscription to learn the concepts presented in this book. It’s a better investment for your hard earned cash, and overall I think you’ll be happier for it.
Great Scott Kelby Books
While I was disappointed in this book, there’s tons of great Kelby books out there that I highly recommend including the following:
- Lightroom 3 for Digital Photographers (Lightroom 4 Coming Soon)
- Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It
- Scott Kelby's 7 Point System
- The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers
- Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers using Photoshop
- The Photoshop Channels Book
- The Digital Photography Book - Volume 1
- The Digital Photography Book - Volume 2
- The Digital Photography Book - Volume 3
I may get a commission if you make a purchase using links found in this article.