Here’s much of what I own/ use regularly as well as a little history of some things I used in the past.
Cameras (B&H Link)
- Canon 5D Mark III – the best camera I’ve ever owned, and a great value given the fact that it’s just a smaller and slower 1D X with greater resolution
- Canon EOS 1D X – 5D Mark III on steroids
- Canon 1D Mark IV (see my 1D Mark IV New Users / Shoppers Guide) – Hassle free and a great improvement over the 1D Mark III
- Fujifilm X10
- Canon G12 – for sale
- Canon VIXIA HF M30 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder – for sale
See my Which DSLR Should I Buy? article for more camera advice.
Sold or Stolen
- Canon 5D Mark II – paid for itself many, many times over
- Canon 1D Mark III – A lemon and headache until replaced just after the 1D Mark IV was announced. Final copy was good, but the IV blew it away.
- Canon Rebel XTi w/ BG-E3 BATTERY GRIP (my primary camera until November 6, 2007) - Sold 12/08
- Several G series cameras
- Sony DSC-S75 (stolen - best point & shoot I've ever owned)
- Sony DSC-H1 (ex-wife kept it - never liked it anyway :-))
- Canon 40D (I still think this is the best xxD series camera Canon has ever made)
Canon Lenses (B&H Link)
I don’t use non-OEM lenses
- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM – Finally a primary lens that can hang with my 70-200, and compete with Nikon’s excellent 24-70 2.8
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM – My primary walkabout lens until I got the lens above. Will sell soon.
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II (this is my “if I only had one lens” lens) – The 2nd sharpest lens Canon makes based on my experience (200mm f/2L IS USM is the sharpest to my eyes)
- EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM – I always regret when I don’t put this lens in the bag – I love it!
- EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM – The new one is better, but I don’t use it enough to bother buying it
Had but no more
- EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye – Was so fun to use in New York City (see here). I regret selling this one!
- EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (sold prematurely and wish I still had it)
- EF 50mm f/1.2L USM (Loved it, miss it, but 50 1/4 is close enough)
- EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM (Great glass, but horrifically slow AF and minimal focus distance)
- EF 135mm f/2.0L USM (Like above but much better AF – magic comes out of this lens)
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (Owned TWICE - regretted returning it, so bought it again – sold used several years later for a profit!)
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (loved it, but the new II version is to die for)
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (loved it, but doesn't work with 1D-Mark III)
- EF 2x Extender II - Worked very well, but 100-400 made it less useful to own.
See my Which Lens Should I Buy? article for lens advice.
- Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Variable Neutral Density Filter
- Hoya 77mm SUPER-HMC - CIRC POL (THIN) – HOCPSMC77
- Cokin Z-Pro U960 Pro Graduated Neutral Density Filter Kit – Love it
- Cokin Series Z 77mm Lens Adaptor Ring – Need it for above
- Cokin 82mm Z-Pro Adapter Ring (0.75mm Pitch Thread) – Need it for the ZPro with the wide angle lens
- B+W 77mm KB-15 (80A) FILTER - BWKB1577 (didn't like filter and cheapo case)
- Hoya 77mm SUPER-HMC - UV PRO 1 FILTER – HOUVP1SMC77
- Hoya 58mm FILTER INTRDCTN KIT (UV/CP/WARM) – HOFIK58
- Hoya 77mm MC - UV PRO 1 DIGITAL FILTER - HOUVP1MC77 - UV filters are a waste of money. Get insurance your gear instead!
Hoods (excluding ones included with L lenses)
- Canon ES-71 II – sold when sold 50mm f/1.4
- Canon ET-67 – use it on my macro lens
- Canon EW-83E – Sold but also included with my 16-35mm – works with 10-22mm
- Gitzo GT1541 - Perfect Travel/Hiking Tripod (see my tripod & head recommendations)
- Gitzo GM5541 Monopod (see my monopod recommendations)
- Really Right Stuff BH-55 (see my tripod head comparison as I wouldn’t get this one again)
- Really Right Stuff B1DMkIII-L: L-plate for Canon Mark III (sorta works with the Mark IV)
- Really Right Stuff B85 Lens Plate for 70-200 and long lenses (gotta have it)
Had but sold
- Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (hate em – clips broken twice)
- Bogen / Manfrotto 3245 Automatic Monopod with 484 Mini Ball Head (crap)
I also have these also :
- Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod Bag
- Bogen/Manfrotto Compact (Umbrella) Stand Bag
- Canon DELUXE BACK PACK BAG 200 EG (retired from use after zipper failure dumped my gear on concrete) My wife uses it as a diaper bag now and it still spills diapers all out! DO NOT BUY THIS BAG!
- Canon 600EX-RT (1) – Best flash Canon has ever made
- Canon 580EX II (Qty: 2) – Love em, but the radio built into the RT is awesome
- Canon ST-E3 – it’s worth it!
- Canon OFF-CAMERA SHOE CORD – a must if you use a flash bracket
- Canon CP-E4 Battery Pack – Waited years to get this, but regretted wait so long. If you shoot events you’ve gotta have this – no more waiting for the flash or black frames where the flash didn’t fire.
Had but sold
- Canon ST-E2 wireless flash transmitter – Works better than its reputation, but get another 580 EX II instead if you can afford it.
- Canon 580EX II – Still have two, but sold one
- Canon 430EX – Don’t waste your money – get the 580’s or 600
Stop wasting your money and read On-Camera Flash Techniques instead. It is the miracle book that teaches you how to use your flash properly – even without diffusers.
- Rogue Flashbenders are the only way to go (way better than Honl’s)
- Rogue Small Softbox Kit – BEST diffuser EVER! I love this thing!
- LumiQuest PROMAX SOFTBOX – Junk
- LumiQuest PROMAX 80-20 POCKET BOUNCER – Junk
- Sto-Fen OM-EY OMNI-BOUNCE f/CANON 580EX/580EX2 – don’t use it after reading On-Camera Flash Techniques
Had but sold
- Gary Fong Lightsphere - Cloud (GALCC3F) for 430EX
- Sto-Fen OM-EW OMNI-BOUNCE f/CANON 430EX – STOBC430EX
- Tons of others including Honl junk
Tons! See the right side of the blog for the books I’ve reviewed, most of which I still own. In addition to those, I have but haven’t reviewed these books:
Plus see my list to the right of software reviewed as well as my What Plug-Ins Should I Buy? article.
Printers (B&H Digital Darkroom Link)
See my printing series for more info about printing, but I also have both of these printers in my studio:
- Canon iPF6300 24” Wide Format Printer – My go to printer for metallic and my most heavily used
- Epson Stylus® Pro 3880 – if you prefer printing sheets sheets over rolls this is the only printer to own
- Epson Stylus® Pro 4900 – Great ink set and heads
- Canon PIXMA PRO-1
- Epson R3000
- Canon MP560 for non-photography work
See my Ron’s Studio Lighting Gear List for a partial list of what I have for my studio light setup, and see here most of what I have as part of my strobist studio kit. In addition to that I have the following (and more – lost track):
- Bogen / Manfrotto 6' STAND w/RETRACT LEGS
- Bogen / Manfrotto 2905 - Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite)
- Westcott 43" UMBRELLA WHITE SATIN/REM COVER BLK – WEU43SBC
- Westcott 43" UMBRELLA (SOFT SILVER/BLK BACKING) – WEU43SS
- LumoPro LP604 5-Section 6ft Stand
- LumoPro LP632 Umbrella Swivel w/ Hot Shoe Adapter
- Bogen / Manfrotto SUPER CLAMP w/STANDARD STUD
- Savage BACKGRND PORT-A-STAND
- Westcott 6 IN 1 42" ILLUMINATOR REFLECTOR KIT – Couldn’t live without it!
- Adjustable Clamp Company PONY SPRING CLAMP 1" w/TIPS
- Adjustable Clamp Company PONY SPRING CLAMP 3" w/TIPS
- Savage Muslin Styled, Paper Background Panels - 40x60" – Verona
- General Brand PRO GAFFER TAPE (2"x12-yd) BLACK – GBGT12B
- Smith-Victor 575 UNIVERSAL TO SHOE MOUNT ADAPTER – SM575 (crap)
- Sekonic L-358 Flash Master – Sold
- Savage Widetone Seamless Paper Background - 107"x 12 yds. - #20 Super Black
- Bogen / Manfrotto JUSTIN SPRING CLAMP w/FLASH SHOE
- Impact MULTI BOOM LIGHTSTAND & REFLECTOR HLDR (piece of garbage – broke the first time I used it) – See my Ron’s Studio Lighting Gear List for a better replacement.
This is by no means a complete list, but it’s a start:
- GTI PDV-2020Ex Personal Desktop Viewer (aka lightbox) – Couldn’t live without out!
- Hoodman Loupes (3)
- Pantone HUEY – Retired in favor of the ColorMunki
- Giottos ROCKET AIR BLOWER 6.6"
- Canon TIMER REMOTE CONTROLLER TC-80N3
- Canon RC-5 REMOTE CONTROLLER – CARC5
- Delta GRAY CARD 4x5"
- Microstar Micro-Fiber 18% Gray Lens Cleaning Cloth (2)
- Purosol Optical Cleaner and microfiber (replaces above)
- Hakuba Lens Cleaning Pen/Brush
- Bogen / Manfrotto 337 2 Axis Flash Hot Shoe Double Bubble Level
- SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card
- SanDisk 8GB Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card
- SanDisk 8GB Ultra CompactFlash (for non-pro cameras)
- Lexar 8GB Professional 400x CompactFlash Card
- X-Rite ColorMunki
- X-Rite i1XTreme
- X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
- Lenovo W701ds Laptop (had to return and still miss it)
- Apple MacBook Pro (lusting for one of the new MacBook Pro’s)
- Apple iPhone 4s
- Apple iPad 3
- Wacom Intuos3 Digital Tablets (2 – medium size)
- NEC PA Series displays
and much, much more
If you make a purchase using links found in this article, I may make a commission.