Here’s much of what I own/ use regularly as well as a little history of some things I used in the past.
- Canon 1DX Mark II - The most amazing Canon camera yet - I love this thing!
- Canon 1D Mark IV (see my 1D Mark IV New Users / Shoppers Guide) – Hassle free and a great improvement over the 1D Mark III
- Fujifilm X-E2 with 56mm lens (85mm effective)
Sold or Stolen
- Canon 5D Mark III – the best camera I’ve ever owned, and a great value given the fact that it’s just a smaller and slower 1D X with greater resolution
- Canon EOS 1D X – 5D Mark III on steroids
- Canon 5D Mark II – paid for itself many, many times over
- Canon 1D Mark III – A lemon and headache until replaced just after the 1D Mark IV was announced. Final copy was good, but the IV blew it away.
- Canon Rebel XTi w/ BG-E3 BATTERY GRIP (my primary camera until November 6, 2007) - Sold 12/08
- Several G series cameras
- Sony DSC-S75 (stolen - best point & shoot I've ever owned)
- Sony DSC-H1 (ex-wife kept it - never liked it anyway :-))
- Canon 40D (I still think this is the best xxD series camera Canon has ever made)
- Fujifilm X10 & X20
- Canon G12 (and many G series)
- Canon VIXIA HF M30 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder – for sale
- EF 11-24mm f/4L USM - This is the lens that was so amazing that my wife made me buy it!
- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM – A good lens, but if I had to do it over again I probably would have got the 24-70 f/4L IS instead. See below for what will probably replace this.
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM – I need to upgrade to the II model, but until then when I can only have one lens when I'm traveling then this is it.
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II - this is my “if I only had one lens” lens
- EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM – The new one is better, but I don’t use it enough to bother buying it
- EF 50mm f/1.2L USM - bought and sold this lens once, got it again and find that I don't use it much because I'm not huge fan of 50mm. It's a great lens though, but a bit long in the tooth. I'd definitely get the Sigma 50mm Art series if I were buying today - it's Zeiss Otus 55mm good.
Had but no more
- EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM – This was an incredible lens that I loved, but after getting the 11-24mm it had to go. The new III is incredible and I loved the 16-35mm f/4L
- EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (sold prematurely and wish I still had it)
- EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM (Great glass, but horrifically slow AF and minimal focus distance)
- EF 135mm f/2.0L USM (Like above but much better AF – magic comes out of this lens)
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (Owned TWICE - regretted returning it, so bought it again – sold used several years later for a profit!)
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (loved it, but the new II version is to die for)
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (loved it, but doesn't work with 1D-Mark III)
- EF 2x Extender II - Worked very well, but 100-400 made it less useful to own.
See my Which Lens Should I Buy? article for lens advice.
- Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Variable Neutral Density Filter (VariND comparison)
- Hoya HD2 Circular Polarizer 82mm
- Breakthrough Photography (early prototypes of the X2 & awesome X3)
- Hoya 77mm SUPER-HMC - CIRC POL (THIN) – HOCPSMC77
- Cokin Z-Pro U960 Pro Graduated Neutral Density Filter Kit – Love it
- Cokin Series Z 77mm Lens Adaptor Ring – Need it for above
- Cokin 82mm Z-Pro Adapter Ring (0.75mm Pitch Thread) – Need it for the ZPro with the wide angle lens
- B+W 77mm KB-15 (80A) FILTER - BWKB1577 (didn't like filter and cheapo case)
- Hoya 77mm SUPER-HMC - UV PRO 1 FILTER – HOUVP1SMC77
- Hoya 58mm FILTER INTRDCTN KIT (UV/CP/WARM) – HOFIK58
- Hoya 77mm MC - UV PRO 1 DIGITAL FILTER - HOUVP1MC77 - UV filters are a waste of money. Get insurance your gear instead!
- Gitzo GT1541 - Perfect Travel/Hiking Tripod (see my tripod & head recommendations)
- Gitzo GM5541 Monopod (see my monopod recommendations)
- Really Right Stuff BH-55 (see my tripod head comparison as I wouldn’t get this one again)
- Really Right Stuff B1DMkIII-L: L-plate for Canon Mark III (sorta works with the Mark IV)
- Really Right Stuff B85 Lens Plate for 70-200 and long lenses (replaced with Kirk LP-41)
Had but sold
- Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (hate em – clips broken twice)
- Bogen / Manfrotto 3245 Automatic Monopod with 484 Mini Ball Head (crap)
I also have these also :
- Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod Bag
- Bogen/Manfrotto Compact (Umbrella) Stand Bag
- Canon DELUXE BACK PACK BAG 200 EG (retired from use after zipper failure dumped my gear on concrete) My wife uses it as a diaper bag now and it still spills diapers all out! DO NOT BUY THIS BAG!
- Canon 600EX-RT (2) – Best flash Canon ever made until they came out with the 600EX-RT II
- Canon 580EX II (Qty: 1) – Love em, but the radio built into the RT is awesome
- Canon ST-E3 – it’s worth it!
- Canon OFF-CAMERA SHOE CORD – a must if you use a flash bracket
- Canon CP-E4 Battery Pack – Waited years to get this, but regretted wait so long. If you shoot events you’ve gotta have this – no more waiting for the flash or black frames where the flash didn’t fire.
Had but sold
- Canon ST-E2 wireless flash transmitter – Works better than its reputation, but get another 580 EX II instead if you can afford it.
- Canon 580EX II – Still have one, but sold two
- Canon 430EX – Don’t waste your money – get the 580’s or 600
Diffusers & Gels
Stop wasting your money and read On-Camera Flash Techniques instead. It is the miracle book that teaches you how to use your flash properly – even without diffusers.
- Lots of Rogue Flashbenders products (most of what they make) - the only way to go (way better than Honl’s)
- Rogue Color Correction Gels - Great for avoiding problems with mixed colors that can't be fixed easily with white balance correction after the fact.
- Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Fashion & Commercial Lighting Kit - it's good and it works, but people love to gripe that it's tupperware. I like mine but don't use it as much as I probably should.
Had but sold
- LumiQuest PROMAX SOFTBOX – Junk
- LumiQuest PROMAX 80-20 POCKET BOUNCER – Junk
- Sto-Fen OM-EY OMNI-BOUNCE f/CANON 580EX/580EX2 – don’t use it after reading On-Camera Flash Techniques
- Gary Fong Lightsphere - Cloud (GALCC3F) for 430EX
- Sto-Fen OM-EW OMNI-BOUNCE f/CANON 430EX – STOBC430EX
- Tons of others including Honl junk
Tons! See the right side of the blog for the books I’ve reviewed, most of which I still own and see my Which Books should I read? article
See my printing series for more info about printing, but I also have both of these printers in my studio:
- Canon PRO-2000
- Canon iPF6450
- Epson P800
- Epson P600
- Canon PRO-1
- Epson Stylus® Pro 3880 – if you prefer printing sheets sheets over rolls this is the only printer to own
Had but sold
- Canon PRO-10 - Excellent little workhorse - cartridges too small though so expensive to own
- Canon iPF6300 24” Wide Format Printer – My go to printer for metallic and my most heavily used
- Epson Stylus® Pro 4900 – Great ink set but clogged heads killed it well before it's time - very sad
- Epson R3000 - loved this one!
- Canon MP560 for non-photography work
See my Ron’s Studio Lighting Gear List for a partial list of what I have for my studio light setup, and see here most of what I have as part of my studio stuff on B&H. In addition to that I have the following (and more – lost track):
- Bogen / Manfrotto 6' STAND w/RETRACT LEGS
- Bogen / Manfrotto 2905 - Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite)
- Westcott 43" UMBRELLA WHITE SATIN/REM COVER BLK – WEU43SBC
- Westcott 43" UMBRELLA (SOFT SILVER/BLK BACKING) – WEU43SS
- LumoPro LP604 5-Section 6ft Stand
- LumoPro LP632 Umbrella Swivel w/ Hot Shoe Adapter
- Bogen / Manfrotto SUPER CLAMP w/STANDARD STUD
- Savage BACKGRND PORT-A-STAND
- Westcott 6 IN 1 42" ILLUMINATOR REFLECTOR KIT – Couldn’t live without it!
- Adjustable Clamp Company PONY SPRING CLAMP 1" w/TIPS
- Adjustable Clamp Company PONY SPRING CLAMP 3" w/TIPS
- Savage Muslin Styled, Paper Background Panels - 40x60" – Verona
- General Brand PRO GAFFER TAPE (2"x12-yd) BLACK – GBGT12B
- Smith-Victor 575 UNIVERSAL TO SHOE MOUNT ADAPTER – SM575 (crap)
- Sekonic L-358 Flash Master – Sold
- Savage Widetone Seamless Paper Background - 107"x 12 yds. - #20 Super Black
- Bogen / Manfrotto JUSTIN SPRING CLAMP w/FLASH SHOE
- Impact MULTI BOOM LIGHTSTAND & REFLECTOR HLDR (piece of garbage – broke the first time I used it) – See my Ron’s Studio Lighting Gear List for a better replacement.
This is by no means a complete list, but it’s a start:
- GTI PDV-2020Ex Personal Desktop Viewer (aka lightbox) – Couldn’t live without out!
- Hoodman Loupes (3)
- Giottos ROCKET AIR BLOWER 6.6"
- Canon TIMER REMOTE CONTROLLER TC-80N3
- Canon RC-5 REMOTE CONTROLLER – CARC5
- Delta GRAY CARD 4x5"
- Microstar Micro-Fiber 18% Gray Lens Cleaning Cloth (2)
- Purosol Optical Cleaner and microfiber (replaces above)
- Hakuba Lens Cleaning Pen/Brush
- Bogen / Manfrotto 337 2 Axis Flash Hot Shoe Double Bubble Level
- SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card
- SanDisk 8GB Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card
- SanDisk 8GB Ultra CompactFlash (for non-pro cameras)
- Lexar 8GB Professional 400x CompactFlash Card
- X-Rite ColorMunki
- X-Rite i1XTreme
- X-Rite i1Display Pro
- X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
- `Lenovo W701ds Laptop (had to return and still miss it)
- Apple MacBook Pro (lusting for one of the new MacBook Pro’s)
- Wacom Intuos3 Digital Tablets (2 – medium size)
- NEC PA Series displays
and much, much more
If you make a purchase using links found in this article, I may make a commission.